The Steam Deck, a portable gaming device from Valve Corporation, is gaining popularity among gamers. While it primarily focuses on gaming, did you know that you can also install and utilize other programs, such as web browsers, on the Steam Deck? In this post, we will walk you through downloading and installing Google Chrome, one of the most popular online browsers, on your Steam Deck.
By following these easy instructions, you may have a complete browsing experience on your Steam Deck, making it even more flexible and handy.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Enable Steam Deck’s Developer Mode
- 2 Download and Install ADB on Your PC
- 3 Connect Your Steam Deck to Your PC
- 4 Open Command Prompt or Terminal
- 5 Install Google Chrome on Your Steam Deck
- 6 ➡️Summary
Enable Steam Deck’s Developer Mode
Before you can install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck, you must first enable Developer Mode on the device. You can access and install third-party programs in this mode. Here’s how you can do it:
➡️Turn on your Steam Deck and go to the “Settings” menu.
➡️Go to “System” and then “About.”
➡️Continue tapping the “Model” option until you receive a notification verifying that Developer Mode is active.
Once Developer Mode is enabled, you may advance to the next step.
Download and Install ADB on Your PC
Connect your Steam Deck to your PC and use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) to install Google Chrome. To download and install ADB, follow these steps:
➡️Navigate to the “SDK Platform Tools” page on the official Android Developer website (developer.android.com).
➡️Download the platform-tools package for your operating system (Windows, macOS, or Linux).
➡️Save the downloaded package to a folder on your computer.
With ADB configured, you are now ready for the following step.
Connect Your Steam Deck to Your PC
To begin the installation, connect your Steam Deck to your PC using a USB-C connection. Take the following steps:
➡️Start your Steam Deck and make sure it’s in Developer Mode.
➡️Plug one end of the USB-C cord into the Steam Deck.
➡️Plug the opposite end of the USB-C cable into a USB port on your computer.
Continue to the following step once the Steam Deck has been properly linked to your PC.
Open Command Prompt or Terminal
To run the commands required to install Google Chrome, use the Command Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (macOS/Linux) on your PC. Follow the instructions below:
➡️Press the Windows key, type “cmd,” and hit Enter to open Command Prompt.
➡️Press Command + Space to open Spotlight.
➡️Type “Terminal” and hit Enter to open the Terminal application.
➡️Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open Terminal.
With the command line interface ready, you’re set for the final steps.
Install Google Chrome on Your Steam Deck
After you’ve accomplished the prerequisites, you’re ready to install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck.
Follow these steps carefully:
- In the Command Prompt or Terminal, browse to the location where the ADB platform tools package was extracted. If you extracted it to the “C:adb” folder on Windows, type “cd C:adb” and press enter.
- Run the following command to ensure that your Steam Deck is correctly connected to your PC:
- adb gadgets
Your Steam Deck should be shown as a connected device.
- Next, enter the command below to enable ADB installation on your Steam Deck:
- adb shell
- Once you are in the shell, execute the following command to grant permission for installing packages:
- settings put global verifier_verify_adb_installs 0
- Now, use the following command to download and install Google Chrome on your Steam Deck:
- adb install -r /path/to/chrome.apk
Replace “/path/to/chrome.apk” with the actual file path of the Google Chrome APK on your PC.
- Wait for the installation process to complete, and you’re done!
Congratulations! Google Chrome has been successfully downloaded and installed on your Steam Deck. Your Steam Deck becomes even more flexible with the ability to browse online, allowing you to view websites, check emails, and explore the internet while on the road. Remember that activating Developer Mode and utilizing ADB allows you to install other third-party programs, broadening the potential of your Steam Deck beyond gaming. Enjoy your surfing experience on your Steam Deck’s bigger screen and make use of its remarkable features!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?